Sunday, April 24, 2011

April 24, 2011



Yesterday we had a surprise party for my sister. She and her husband are renewing their vows next month for their 10 year anniversary. When they got married in 2001, she was 7 months preggo with #2 and they decided to get hitched on a Monday and were walking down the "aisle" that Saturday. There was no time for bridal showers (or bachelorettes seeing her delicate condition). Her wedding was small, about 15 people were there, they got married in the woods at our grandparents house in front of the gazeebo, it was cute and sweet but definitely shotgun. So this renewal of theirs is the big party she's wanted these past 10 years and never got. I figured this was as good a time as any to throw her the bridal shower/bachelorette she never got either...I use the terms loosely because it wasn't a rip roaring affair nor was it a large group. I think there were 12 of us but it ended up being a lot of fun.






my mother and sister


This was the highlight of my day (besides seeing my sister have a great time with her besties.)

Of course this was taken after we polished off bowl #2. Here's how I made it.

White Sangria
1 bottle white wine (plus a little more til all the fruit was covered; this was AFTER adding the other 2 cups of alcohol)
1 cup vodka
1cup triple sec
1/2 cup sugar
1 granny smith apple sliced
1 pear sliced
i lemon sliced
1 lime sliced
1 orange sliced
10 large strawberries cut in half
1/2 can of pineapple chunks
3 slices of watermelon cut into bite size chunks
a fistful of green grapes

I put all the fruit in the bowl, sprinkled it with the sugar and added the wine, stirred, then added the vodka and triple sec, stirred it again. I let it sit together for about 1.5 hours and when the guests arrived I added a little ice to to the bowl. I also put out a bottle of club soda in case someone wanted it to be weaker. It was friggin awesome, I wish I had taken a picture of it BEFORE but I was too busy to even think of it!! Obviously the second bowl didn't have a chance to "sit" but it was gone in about 45 minutes so apparently it isn't a necessary step! ha ha! Can I just say hurray for spring and summer because this is a new family favorite. Yum. Make it.

Oh and Hoppy Easter, All!

No comments:

Post a Comment